I had hoped to have more news from the homestead this week as we had planned a weekend getaway to the property. Unfortunately we had to change plans due to the mold issue that came up last week in our home for sale.
We examined the area of concern and found very little to actually be concerned about, then we turned around. As we examined the outer walls of the sunroom we did find some mold, not bad mind you, but it was there. The worst problem was not mold, but wood rot. Thankfully the structure is supported by the limestone walls because if it had been directed on the wooden frames, this thing would have surely collapsed.
Knowing what we had to do, we sucked it up and went straight to work on the problem. We tore out all the existing wall framing, improved the design and rebuilt everything with pressure treated wood. We replaced regular sheetrock with greenboard to further protect against any future attempt by mold to gain a foothold in that room.
Next step is the gutter, which unfortunately needs to be done by a licensed contractor. We could probably tackle it ourselves, but due to the severity of the issue we think it prudent to have someone who really knows gutters take care of this unique design challenge.
We had to extend the closing date for the sale, but I am hopeful that this time it will actually happen. If it doesn’t it has not been due to a lack of effort on our part.
Thoughts from a pastor
a Lutheran homeschooling blog
Putting in a little
Yorkshirelass, home at last.
Just another WordPress.com weblog
Peace, quiet, and beauty in the middle of Texas
Textile arts and crafts. Spinning. Weaving. Felting. Sustainability
Coopworth Fiber, LaMancha Dairy Goats and Cheese on the Coast of Maine!
for the love of making yarn